Home Report Scotland FAQs

We’re here for you. Our business is still open and we've adapted to COVID-19 - Find out more >

Must I obtain a Home Report?

Yes. Anyone marketing a home needs to provide a Home Report to potential buyers.


What documents are included in the Home Report?

The Home Report includes three documents: a Single Survey, an Energy Report and a Property Questionnaire.


Who Compiles the Home Report?

It is the seller who is responsible for providing the home report. Generally, a Chartered Surveyor produces the Single Survey and Energy Report, and the seller completes the Property Questionnaire.


What will a Home Report cost?

The cost of a home report will depend on the size of your home and its value. We are able to offer the most competitive fees in the market.


Your prices seem lower than many other firms. Why?

We aim to be competitive and we do hope that you find our price to be the lowest. We do not act as a third party and we use our own surveyors. Our intention is to help our clients get their property on the market whilst still receiving the professional service you would expect from a professional firm.


Who pays for the Home Report?

The property seller is responsible for providing the Home Report. There is nothing in the legislation insisting that the buyer must reimburse the seller for the cost of the Home Report.


How recent must the Home Report be?

The legislation does not impose a set shelf life or validity period for any of the Home Report documents. This reflects current practice for survey reports. The Home Report should be no more than 12 weeks old when the property first goes on the market. However there is currently no stated validity period. It is for the owner to decide if they wish to update the Home Report at any point. In practice, updating normally occurs when a buyer shows serious interest in your property and the original Home Report is more that three months old.


How long does it take to produce a Home Report?

Following the inspection at the property we aim to have your report ready within two working days. However we usually have these to clients quicker, we understand the need to get your house on the market quickly.


I am a private seller, and do not plan on using a solicitor or estate agent to market my house. Do I need a Home Report?

Yes, under Part 3 of the Housing (Scotland) Act 2006, a person who is responsible for marketing a house must provide a Home Report to any prospective purchasers.


Will I be forced to fix a problem shown in the Single Survey, such as damp?

The Home Report is intended to let the seller and the buyer know the true condition of the property, the need for repair and its market value. The objective is to remove any nasty surprises or un-budgeted expense. Ideally repairs will either be carried out or will be factored into the purchase price. However, legislation does not require that a seller carry out any repairs. The information in the Home Report allows the property to sell with no last minute problems, it informs the buyer and helps the buyer obtain a mortgage.


Which properties do not require to provide a Home Report?

New housing – New housing includes homes that may be sold ‘off-plan’ to the first purchaser or sold to the first occupier. Any subsequent sale of a home will not be exempt even if it has a certificate from, for example, the National House-Building Council (NHBC).


Newly converted premises

This means a property which is being, or has been, converted to a home if it has not previously been used in its converted state.


Right to Buy homes

As the sale of a home to a tenant under the ‘Right to Buy’ does not involve marketing, the duty to provide a Home Report does not apply.


Seasonal and holiday accommodation

This exception refers to seasonal and holiday accommodation (as defined in planning legislation), which only has permission to be used for less than 11 months in any year. It does not include second homes or holiday cottages that could be used all year if the owner so chose.


A portfolio of residential properties

This means a home which is to be sold with one or more other homes and where it is clear from the manner in which the homes are marketed that the seller does not intend to accept an offer to buy one of those homes in isolation from another.


Mixed sales

This occurs where a home is sold with one or more non-residential properties (provided it is clear that the seller does not intend to consider an offer to buy the home separately from the non-residential property).


Dual use of a dwelling house

This describes the situation where the home is, or forms part of, a property most recently used for both residential and non-residential purposes, such as a commercial studio where the owner also lives in the home.


Unsafe properties

Unsafe properties are evidently in a condition that poses a serious risk to the health or safety of occupants or visitors, or where the way the home is marketed suggests it is unsuitable for occupation in that condition.


Properties to be demolished

There is an exception for homes to be demolished where it is clear the home is suitable for demolition and all the necessary consents have been obtained for demolition and consents obtained for redevelopment.

The Home Report duties do not apply to non-residential property.


Get A Quote